Aside from the common 3/4/5-axis CNC machining, 3 +2 machining is additionally an ideal manufacturing technology for some applications, what is 3 +2 machining as well as just how does it work? DEK will certainly get involved in the difference between 3 +2 and 5-axis CNC machine, in addition to their advantages and disadvantages for recommendation in figuring out which one to select.
What is 3 +2 Machining?
3 +2 machining is a manufacturing approach where a 3-axis milling program is executed, 2 rotating axes of the 5-axis machine are made use of to take care of the cutting device in a tilted setting, the 4th axis, as well as 5th axis, are used to identify the direction of the cutters, different from the synchronised or constant 5-axis machining. 3 +2 operation applies for mould making and contours or tilted tubular shapes processing.
Just how Does 3 +2 Machining Work?
Actually, the principle of 3 + 2 positioning CNC machining is to recognize 3-axis machining at a particular angle. Just speaking, when the CNC machine turns to a certain angle, it still processes as the normal 3-axis machine.
The distinction between 3 +2 and also 5-Axis CNC Machining
5-axis CNC machining is ideal for complex shape surface machining, while 3 +2 machining generally works for aircraft processing. The most significant benefits of 5-axis machining are it can accomplish different kinds of CNC machined parts and also geometries fabrication, appropriate for aerospace, armed forces as well as much more requiring market, while not all components require full 5-axis, sometimes 3 +2 CNC machining is extra efficiently.
Advantages of 3 + 2 machining
- Shorter, extra rigid cutting tools can be utilized, allows undercuts in cavities as well as the steep wall.
- The cutter can form a specific angle with the surface, and also the pinhead can include reduced position and also closer to the work surface.
- The device relocating distance is much shorter and also the program code is less.
Disadvantages of 3 + 2 machining
3 + 2 machining is normally thought about to set a consistent angle to the spindle. Complex CNC parts may require many tilted sights to cover the entire workpiece, yet it will certainly trigger device courses to overlap, therefore boosting machining time.
Advantages of 5-axis machining
- No special component is needed, which lowers the cost of fixture, avoids multiple clamping as well as enhances the machining precision.
- Reduce the number of clamps made use of.
- Decrease special cutting tools and cost.
- It can enhance efficiency by reducing side size, decrease the cutting force, enhance the life of the tool.
Disadvantages of 5-axis machining
- Compared to 3 + 2, the spindle rigidness is even worse.
- Sometimes, it is not suitable to take on the 5-axis, for example, when the cutter is also brief or the management is as well huge, the vibration can not be avoided under any type of problem of tilted angle.
- Compared To 3-axis, the machining accuracy mistake is bigger.
In general, for tighter tolerances and even more intricate shapes, 5-axis machining is better, 3 +2 allows reducing tool angled towards the workpiece, it appropriates for positioning the part for faster feeds and speeds.