Guide to Machining 6061 Aluminum
6061 is a typical aluminum alloy produced by warm treatment as well as extending process. With its high toughness and also corrosion resistance, CNC machining 6061 aluminum products extensively used in commercial architecture as well as extra fields. Starting with the 6061 aluminum homes, we’ll learn its distinction between aluminum 6063 as well as 7075, and rates.
6061 Aluminum in CNC Machining
With its superb machinability, durability, special qualities and cost, aluminum 6061 is a preferred CNC machining material in the manufacturing of parts in different sectors, like aerospace, transport, building and even more. It’s widely made use of in 5 axis precision machining in CNC factory. DEK gives rapid custom 6061 aluminum CNC machining services and high quality machined aluminum 6061 parts with turning, milling, drilling and also other methods, along with innovative tools.
What is 6061 Aluminum & 6061 Aluminum Characteristics?
6061, likewise known as Alloy 61s, is one of the most common aluminum alloys for general function, mostly includes silicon, magnesium and also aluminum, various other metallic elements include iron, copper, chromium, zinc, manganese and titanium. It has good mechanical residential properties, excellent weldability and appropriate to be extruded. 6061-T6, as well as 6061-T651, are toughened upgrades of 6061 aluminum.
Aluminum alloy 6061 characteristics and functions:
- Can be heat treated
- Establish the standard for a medium-to-high strength, light-weight, affordable material
- Structural strength, toughness
- Good deterioration resistance to atmosphere and seawater
- Conveniently to be welded
- 6061 aluminum density: 2.7 g/cm ³.
- Tensile strength of aluminum 6061: 124– 290 MPa (18.0– 42.1 ksi).
- 6061 aluminum yield strength: ultimate yield strength of at least 240 MPa (35,000 psi).
6061 Aluminum Cost
As of January 2020, the rate of 6061 aluminum alloy is about 21.4 Yuan/kg. 6061 aluminum offers in numerous forms on the marketplace, the usual forms are 6061 aluminum plate and 6061 aluminum bar, resulting in different costs.
Aluminum 6061 vs 6063
When picking from aluminum 6061 and also 6063, you require to be accustomed to their residential or commercial properties as well as figure out which choice makes one of the most sense for your aluminum needs. The difference between 6061 and 6063 aluminum is primarily entailed toughness, extrusion and also ending up.
- Strength: 6061 aluminum has higher stamina than 6063.
- Extrusions: aluminum alloy 6063 is a lot more usual for personalized extrusions like visible architectural aluminum trims and also profiles.
- Finishing: 6063 aluminum has better characteristics for acceptance of anodized completing choices.
Aluminum 6061 vs 7075
The differences between aluminum 6061 and also 7075 are majorly in the following aspects:
- Chemical Structure: 6061 has a greater amount of silicon, 7075 has a much greater quantity of zinc, copper as well as slightly much more magnesium.
- Mechanical Characteristics: 7075-T6 has nearly double tensile stamina and also approximately 1.5 times the shear strength of 6061-T6. 6061 has a lower firmness than 7075.
6061 aluminum is more conveniently to be machined and type than 7075.
6061 is weldable and 7075 is typically taken into consideration not weldable.
- Applications: 6061 aluminum is perfect for applications needed extra ductility, 7075 aluminum is more generally made use of as gear or pole in the aerospace area.
7075 aluminum alloy is more prominent for applications that calls for higher strength.
7075 is much more used in mould making and also industrial tooling.
6061 is more suitable for forms with rounded contouring.